Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) Therapy
Continuous Passive Motion (CPM) Therapy uses a CPM machine designed to provide passive motion to the joint gradually and slowly without using the patient’s muscles. CPM machines are applied post-operatively and are used in healthcare facilities and at home. CPM Therapy has been used for more than 30 years.
CPM machines are an important part of a rehabilitation plan. They are generally used 3-6 hours per day and can be used for 3-6 weeks. CPM machines are covered by Medicare and insurance companies and since they are only needed for a short term, insurance companies only rent them.
Some CPM Therapy Benefits are:
- Reduces joint stiffness.
- Speeds the recovery of post-operative range of motion.
- Breaks the cycle of inflammation and loss of range of motion.
- Reduces pain and swelling.
- Promotes joint cartilage healing.
- After we receive your physician’s orders for a CPM machine, we’ll verify your insurance coverage and contact you to confirm your information and coordinate delivery and set up.
- At the time of delivery, your machine will be fitted or adjusted to you, we’ll provide you instructions for using the machine, and explain your machine settings.
- We will also review your care plan and some home safety tips.
- You’ll be given written instructions and other helpful information.